Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Goodies!

Probably one of the best parts about Christmas are all the goodies we make and eat! We all have our favorites so can you name the top 14 Christmas treats? Are any of your favorites on the list?

• Candy canes

• Gingerbread
• Chestnuts
• Fruitcake (really? this still makes the list?)
• Bûche de Noël or Yule log cake
• Rum balls
• Chocolate truffles
• Meringue kisses
• Divinity
• Mince pie
• Pumpkin pie
• Homemade fudge
• Frosted sugar cookies
• Toffee

I think they need to update the list. Not alot of my favorites made the list. The tradition in my home was to make sugar cookies, frost and decorate them with my mom's homemade frosting. We still do this each year mostly for the kids. When we were little, I remember my mom making fugde and carmels so dad could take them to the people he home taught. And we ALWAYS had chex mix. Just the smell and taste of it reminds me of Christmas. So I have made a ton of it to snack on this year, probably a little to much. My dad's favorite thing to do was go to Hickory Farms and pick out something to send my grandpa Mott. The taste of smoked gouda brings back a lot of memories. And now I have traditions of making chocolate covered pretzels and buckeyes (as seen from an earlier post) and the marshmellow fudge. Julia was so excited to go and deliver the treats to the neighbors this year. So hopefully we can continue to do this each year.


 I remember growing up my grandpa and grandma Spafford would have little candy dishes all around the house with the old fashion hard candies in them. Whenever I see them, which is rare, it always reminds me of Christmas and gma and gpa's house. Grandma Spafford would always make a bunch of really good treats. I really loved a particular peanut butter bar that she made that had oats in it and to this day no one has the recipe. Another one of my favorites she made were the Danish Wedding Cookies. I have never attempted to make them but man I LOVED those things! She would also make haystacks and peanut clusters, so more of my favorites.



"Traditions offer opportunities to create memories, share love, and bulid strong bonds etween family members. They will not only helpyour family life be more peaceful and rewarding, they will also give your children memories they can draw on no matter where they go or who they grow up to be."
                     ~Linda and Richard Eyre~                               

No comments: