Tuesday, August 20, 2013

1st Grade.............


Julia was nervous but excited for the first day of school. Back to school night was great. We took a little trip around the school, playground, and her new classroom. She picked out her own cubby and she found her very own desk. She was excited to see all the supplies and books in her desk. Then she went to meet her teacher, Mrs. Coombs. She was really nice and was excited to meet Julia.

With a good nights rest and a good breakfast we were ready for the day. Julia was excited to go. She got her lunch box for her birthday and we packed a lunch the night before. She was all set to go. We hopped in the car and off we went. I walked Julia up to the playground. She didn't want me to go and couldn't remember where she was suppose to line up but we found a friend and she was able to stay and play since I had to get off to work.
 


Julia was happy to be done with her first day. She came out of the school almost in tears. She said she had missed me and that is was a really long day. I said it would be ok and only get better. We went home to have some snacks.

1st grade is definitely an adjustment. Every morning she is practically in tears and says she doesn't want to go to school because she will miss me and that school is soooo long. It has been a fight for the first 2 weeks to get her to go. She wouldn't let me leave the playground without finding a friend first and she doesn't want to get into the car to even get a ride with friends to school. She tells me that she cried in class and at lunch. Then I got a call from Julia's teacher after the first week of school, asking if there was anything we could do to help Julia? I didn't really know what to say because this was all new to me. She loved pre-school and kindergarten. So we talked for a little while and discussed some solutions. I haven't heard back from the teacher so that's a good sign.

UPDATE: This week has been better. I just told her once you get to school everything will be fine. You'll find friends to eat with and play with and then if you start to cry just say a little prayer and ask Heavenly Father to help you not to cry and to be brave. It has been working. She did call me one day before lunch because she just missed me so much. I even told her today (Friday) that today was the last day and they don't have to go back until Tues. because of Labor Day......she was excited about that!

I know it will get better the more she goes. She will make new friends and have fun in her class. It just takes time. I know because I was the same way. Every day I saw the school come into view I would start to cry.......BUT once I got to school it was fine and I know Julia will be fine too!

No comments: