Saturday, December 11, 2010

Our New Addition!


Christian Philip Cromwell was born on a Saturday afternoon at 2:29 pm, December 4, 2010. He weighed 6 lbs. 10 oz. and was 19 inches long.

It all started early Saturday morning when I woke up a little freaked out that I couldn't feel the baby move and hadn't felt him move in quite awhile. So I made a little trip down to the Mt. Timp Hospital just to be sure everything was ok. I heard the heartbeat and I relaxed a bit. I was also having contractions at this time. They came about every 1-2 mins but weren't very intense. So the nurse told me to just keep track of them and if they intensify to call the Uof U Hospital and let them know.

We came home about 5:30am and I was timing my contractions. So for an hour and a half they were very consistent and not letting up, still not intense but enough to give the hospital a call. So they said it would be best to come up. I called my mom to let her know and my sister Amy came up to the hospital to help watch Julia. We got to the hospital at 9 am and got me all hooked up to monitors and IV fluids. They were trying to just give me fluids to try and stop labor but it didn't so after 2 hours of waiting we finally had a doctor come in to say we will be having a baby today. Now my nerves kick in......I can't believe it.......I will be having a baby with in a few hours. They had to draw some more blood so they could type and match it and it took a few hours for them to do it because of the antibodies in my blood from past transfusions. All the while I am still in labor, something I just didn't want to have to experience again. The contractions were still every 1-2 mins apart but they were certainly intensifying. I couldn't have anything for them because I was going to be getting a spinal soon and they wanted to wait to give me something for as long as possible. I was surprised that I was able to handle them as well as I did!

So its finally time to get my spinal and I'm petrified! I'm so anxious! I walk into the freezing cold operating room and try to take deep breaths and calm down. It felt like they took forever but they finally got it done! So I'm trying to relax but I know what's coming next. The whole fact that you are awake while all the cutting is going on is hard to comprehend. I was trying to think of other things and finally they got under way and brought Layne in. A little relief knowing he was finally with me. A few minutes later Christian was born and I heard his cry and I knew I was going to be ok. He was healthy and I was actually able to see him. Layne was able to walk over and see him and get some pictures. They brought him over so I could see him and we got our picture. The baby and Layne left and I was a little more calm....I couldn't wait for them to bring him in so I could hold him!




Happy Birthday Christian!




First time holding Christian.........Love at first sight!




I was holding the baby and Layne and Julia walked in the room. She was so excited and practically jumped up on the bed and sat next to me. Her face in this picture says it all......PRICELESS! She was able to see him get walked down the hall to get all cleaned up but seeing him up close was exciting for her. All she wanted to do was hold him! I think Daddy was pretty excited too!

We finally got settled into our room and then after the first 24 hours things were up and down for both me and Christian. During his pediatric visit they saw some blood in his stool and were concerned about that. They had to draw blood and do a few tests. So he had to go to the nursery and stay and be monitored and was unable to eat. So they put in an IV and fed him fluids. The next night it ended up that the blood culture they took came back with bacteria in it after the 24 hour mark so to take precautions they wanted to do a spinal tap and a few other tests. I just started bawling. I was thinking this can't be happening. But after a blessing for me and Christian I knew things would be ok. He had to go back to the nursery and stay once again. I was able to visit and get pictures so he couldn't say later that Julia was 'special' because she was a NICU baby. We have proof that Christian also had to get some special treatment!!



Christian was able to come back to my room only after a short stay in the nursery. He was still on antibiotics until the final results came back from the blood culture. 48 hours later we come to find out that the blood culture was contaminated with a skin flora. I didn't know whether to be upset because of everything he had to go through because of it or just relieved. I do think that the antibiotics did help with the blood in his stool. It eventually cleared up and for that I am grateful!
The night before they were set to release me I developed high blood pressure. I was anxious and had some pretty bad edema but the doctors thought it was preclampsia. I guess you can develop that other having a baby as well. I had never had high blood pressure throughout my pregnancy so I was upset. I had to get another IV and have blood pressure meds given to me and the dose/course was going to last 24 hours! I was so upset but knew that Christian would have to stay that extra day anyway so everything worked out. They put me on Magnesium and it didn't go over well. About 4 hours from being done with the 24 hour dose I just felt awful! I have never felt so bad in my life...I couldn't even pick up my arms or move for that matter. So I told the nurses I just didn't feel well and after some convincing the doctor stopped the meds. After about an hour I was feeling 100% better. It was certainly a set back but a necessary one for my health and safety! Its always an adventure when I'm in the hospital...you would think I would just expect it! So we had another day to just sit and get better until Christians final test results came back.....5 days later we would finally be heading home!!

We finally had the clear to come home and it was a HAPPY DAY!! My sister Kasey had spent the night and helped me get everything ready to go. Later Julia, Layne and Grandma Cromwell came up to take us home. Julia was going to visit gramma and grandpa while we went home to settle in. Its been so great to finally get home and have Christian with us.....healthy and happy! We love you so much already and we are so grateful you made it safe and sound! Happy Birthday Christian!




2 comments:

Christensen family said...

Congratulations. He is very cute! It looks like everyone loves him. I'm sorry you had to stay in the hospital longer, I hate that place.

Kris said...

Christian is adorable! We can't wait to see him in person. Congratulations you guys! You will LOVE having a little boy. Julia you are going to be the best big sister!!