Sunday, January 8, 2012

Preserve your Life

Preserve your memories, seal them up well. What you forget you can never retell. But a journal that's kept fresh on the shelf will help someone through rough times--maybe even yourself!


My sister got a little jar with slips of paper that ask about your personal history. Things about childhood, family, memories, religion etc. So I copied down those questions and decided to blog them instead of just writing them in a journal. Hopefully I can answer each question and have that memory, thought or fact preserved for my future generations to read. It probably won't be everyday but maybe once a week or once a month and they won't be in any particular order. This should be interesting! I hope you all enjoy this as much as I think I'm going too!

Question: What did you do at recess? What games did you play?

Wow, this takes me back. You lived and died for recess! We even had teachers that would reward us with an extra recess during the day if we met some kind of goal in class. I remember a few different things about recess in elementary school. Probably different grades and schools, who knows? But I remember I had a group of friends and each recess we would run to the swings and have swing races, I guess you could call them. Who could go the highest, or jump off the swing the farthest. I do remember the boys chasing the girls around at recess and I hated it. I just wanted to play on the jungle gym but we always had to worry about the boys bothering us.

In 5th grade I had another group of friends and we would jump rope for the entire time. We never did double dutch, I don't even think we attempted it, we just did the normal one rope. We had all the different games we would chant/sing as we jumped, Cinderella, teddy bear, chase etc. We even had a few boys in our group that would jump with us each day. If we weren't jump roping we did penny drops off the high bars. You hang upside down by your knees and get yourself swinging and then you flip off the bar and hopefully land on your feet, I always did! Ahhhh, to have that much energy again!

No comments: