Thursday, January 12, 2012

Personal History

Describe your 1st driving experience.

Oh boy seems so long ago but I remember going to Sears Driving School because I don't think my high school even offered driver's ed. So I had to have my mom drive me into downtown Flint and I had to attend driver's education. SO BORING. So when were finally allowed to actually get in a car a drive this is what I remember most.

My instructor was an old guy and just kinda grumpy in general. He used his own car for us to drive and he had an extra brake over on his side in case he had to use it. His car was probably an old 1980's Ford Taurus with no power steering. And the car didn't have the nice little stickers all over the car to warn people you were a student but it had this on top of the car..........

I could have sworn it was bigger than this picture but that was a long time ago so it was bigger in my mind.

I also remember having to sit on a phone book because I was so short to even see over the hood. So here I am in an old car with no power steering. Going into downtown Flint. First off I remember seeing a yellow light and then almost getting whiplash because my instructor had to use 'his' emergency brake. Embarrassing! Mind you yellow lights outside of CA and UT are extremely short and don't last as long as they do here. So with that said, I thought I could make the light before it turned red but I guess I misjudged it a bit. So anyway, we are now down by the city buildings, its super busy with traffic because I had evening classes and I was now getting into rush hour traffic. The instructor tells me to pull up along side of a car and then proceeds to tell me to do this maneuver........
THE WORST THING EVER! So I did my best but my best was trying about 4 times to get just close enough to the curb. And all the while I am getting heckled by passing traffic telling me to "keep it up", "you'll get it", "Come on you can do it." Of course these are all encouraging words but at the time I just wanted them to be quiet, it was so embarrassing. Besides the fact that I had to do this maneuver 4 times, I also had to have my instructor help me crank the wheel to even position myself correctly......remember, no power steering and I was a weak, scrawny, 15 year old. So I do finally get it and am relieved the whole experience is over.

No comments: