Monday, December 19, 2011

A Spiritual Twist on the 12 Days of Christmas

Legend has it that "The 12 Days of Christmas" was a coded song written in England during the sixteenth century; the "code" was purportedly intended to reinforce principles of Christianity.

One the 1st day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
A Partridge in a Pear Tree
The partridge in a pear tree was a symbol for Jesus Christ

On the 2nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Two Turtle Doves
Two turtle doves represented the Old and New Testament

On the 3rd day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Three French Hens
Three French Hens stood for the 3 Christian virtues: faith, hope and charity

On the 4th day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Four Calling Birds
Four calling birds were symbols for the four Gospels

On the 5th day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Five Golden Rings
Five gold rings represented the first 5 books of the Old Testament

On the 6th day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Six Geese A-laying
Six geese referred to the six days of creation

On the 7th day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Seven Swans A-swimming
Seven swans reminded them of the seven gifts of the Spirit that Paul outlined in Romans 12:6-8

On the 8th day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Eight Maids A-milking
Eight maids stood for the eight Beatitudes

On the 9th day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Nine Ladies Dancing
Nine ladies recalled the nine fruits of the Spirit that Paul taught in Galatians 5: 22-23

On the 10th day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Ten Lords A-leaping
Ten Lords were symbolic of the Ten Commandments

On the 11th day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Eleven Pipers Piping
Eleven pipers represented the eleven faithful Apostles

On the 12th day of Christmas my true love gave to me.....
Twelve Drummers Drumming
Twelve drummers stood for the 12 Apostles

No comments: